Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Polonius' Homily

The air bites shrewdly; it is very cold. 

Watched about 30 minutes of Franco Zeferelli's Hamlet last night. Blown away by the language. Shakespeare's got a hell of a way with words. I loved the fatherly advice of Polonius to Laertes:

Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportioned thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledged comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel, but being in,
Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Wasn't that just refreshing? If only sermons could sound more like this! Who needs explanations but if you want you can find some here. 

Still, couldn't keep my eyes open for long. I'm used to watching killers saying, "Die, mother-f*cker!" so I guess I'm a little unused to people saying things like, "A little more than kin, and less than kind." I'll watch it act by act, methinks. Should be fun studying one of the best-known dramatic tragedies ever (I just found out from Wiki that The Banquet, Zhang Zhi Yi's latest, is a Chinese adaptation of Hamlet). One eye on Gibson, Close, Bonham Carter and gang, and another on sites like Open Source Shakespeare ("An Experiement in Literary Technology") and SparkNotes with its loads of online study guides (FOC).

You just gotta admire the 'sentence-construction'. How did the man think of these things? And I thought people like Mitchell, Roy and Naylor were verbiose. Shakespeare makes their works look like Ladybird books.

Remember thee? Ay, thou poor ghost, while memory holds a seat in this distracted globe...Remember thee? Yea, from the table of my memory I'll wipe away all trivial fond records, all saws of books, all forms, all pressures past that youth and observation copied there...And thy commandment all alone shall live within the book and volume of my brain, unmixed with baser matter. 

You have GOT to be high to be able to write thousands of pages of stuff like this. Like Livingstone searching for the Nile's source, I'm in for the ride. I wish I had taken this stuff in A-Levels (except at that time I'd probably end up hating it - so, yeah, no point)

12 comments:

  1. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was good. I don't know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!
    Look at my web blog :: FinderHostel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to pay a visit this site and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this paragraph, while I am also keen of getting experience.
    Stop by my web page chat rooms online free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malaysia & Singapore & brunei ideal on-line
    blogshop for wholesale & supply korean accessories, earrings, earstuds, locket, rings, trinket, hair & bangle add-ons.
    Promotion 35 % wholesale markdown. Ship Worldwide
    My web site :: treinamento cerebral

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article! It is the little changes which
    will make the most important changes. Thanks for sharing!
    Also visit my web page : click through the following web page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It's always interesting to read content from other writers and use something from their sites.
    Also visit my blog post :: Gambling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive
    a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this
    is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    Feel free to visit my web-site - ikea furniture assembly service

    ReplyDelete
  7. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening
    to read?

    Also visit my web site markkinointi sosiaalisessa mediassa

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want to increase your knowledge only keep visiting this web
    page and be updated with the hottest gossip posted here.


    My blog :: hakukonemainonta

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all I would like to say wonderful blog!
    I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts prior to writing. I've had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Many thanks!

    my webpage - jobs in uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who had been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me dinner simply because I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending some time to talk about this subject here on your web site.

    Feel free to visit my web blog ... life quotes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for any other informative blog. The place else could I get
    that type of info written in such an ideal
    means? I've a venture that I am just now operating on, and I've
    been on the look out for such info.

    Also visit my site amsterdam escorts

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was very happy to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for
    your time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely liked every
    part of it and I have you saved to fav to see new information on your web site.


    Here is my blog post: noticias primero

    ReplyDelete